14. March 2011 11:36
Green Benefits has been in the business of offering green and eco-apparel options since 2007. Over the years we have found there is a lot to know about sustainability and the details can lead to a great deal of confusion. Many people who oppose using eco-appareloften believe that eco-apparel is 1) expensive and 2) lesser quality. Neither are generally true and often eco-apparel feels better than traditionally manufactured virgin materials . Eco-apparel makes good sense and is economically affordable as well.
As a refresher, here is a short list of eco-friendly textiles entering the eco-apparel marketplace, you’ll find it helpful to brush up on some “green” options:
- Organic fabricsuse no pesticides, herbicides or insecticides during the growing cycle. This is one of the easiest places to start with a marginally higher cost, the imprint options on organic eco-apparel are often softer and more comfortable than traditional cotton material.
- Soy silk uses liquefied proteins (a by-product of making tofu) forced into fibers which are then spun.
- Ingeo corn fiber is created by extracting starch and then sugars from corn, and processing them into a form which can be spun into a yarn or woven into fabric.
- Fortrel EcoSpun polyester is made out of recycled plastic bottles and is frequently used for fleece.
- Biodegradable fabric has the ability to naturally break down and return to raw material or to be absorbed by the earth. The Federal Trade Commission guidelines say only products that contain materials which “break down and decompose into elements found in nature within a reasonably short amount of time when they are exposed to air, moisture and bacteria or other organisms” should be labeled biodegradable.
- Natural bleaching means that hydrogen peroxide was used to whiten fibers, rather than a chemical such as chlorine.
- Bamboo fabric is made from the cellulose fibers of the plant. It’s naturally antibacterial and 100% biodegradable and sustainable.
Green Benefits offers many of these eco-apparel options and is happy to source anything that you don’t find on our web site. We specialize in sourcing eco-apparel and other eco-friendly products. Please review our eco apparel where you will find: custom print eco-apparel organic t-shirts, Recycled Polyester Polo’s and much more.